Direct dating summit dvd 1
The track is one of a network of tracks that once crossed the Somerset Levels.
Built in the 39th century BC, during the Neolithic period, the track consisted of crossed poles of ash, oak and lime (Tilia) which were driven into the waterlogged soil to support a walkway that mainly consisted of oak planks laid end-to-end.
It covers an area of 400 feet (120 m) north to south by 300 feet (90 m) east to west, and housed around 100 people in five to seven groups of houses, each for an extended family, with sheds and barns, made of hazel and willow covered with reeds, and surrounded either permanently or at certain times by a wooden palisade.
The village was built in about 300 BC and occupied into the early Roman period (around 100 AD) when it was abandoned, possibly due to a rise in the water level.
Accordingly, Williamson posits that the Tor was named after the glassy mansion of the dead.The town, which is in the Mendip district, had a population of 8,932 in the 2011 census.Glastonbury is less than 1 mile (2 km) across the River Brue from Street, which is now larger than Glastonbury.Centwine was the first Saxon patron of Glastonbury Abbey, which dominated the town for the next 700 years.One of the most important abbeys in England, it was the site of Edmund Ironside's coronation as King of England in 1016.